Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Tidbits from around the NHL & "Oh, Jiggy."

Here's some quick news of things happening in the NHL today.

Today marks the beginning of the GM Meeting in Toronto, ON. GMs will meet behind doors to discuss matters throughout the league. Some hot topics that are known to be discussed:

*Head Shots:

GMs want to see these come to an end or at least cut to a minimum. Lately there have been a flurry of head shots on players so far in this early season. If they're intentional or not, GMs will discuss how the league can cut down on them.

*The
Trapezoid:
A lot of GMs are saying that implementing the
Trapezoid behind the net was a bad idea and wish to take it out immediately. As well they say it will cut down on players getting hurt rushing towards a puck for and/or wiping out an Icing call by allowing goalies to come out to play the puck freely. If eliminated, expect Marty Turco's wet dreams to come true.

*Consistency in Officiating:
"Ref You Suck!" GMs as well as coaches, players, supporters, stick boys, parking maids, etc. want to see consistency in the officiating of the game and hope to do away with biased calls and bad calls for that matter. Well here's to hoping for that perfect world. Doubt it will ever come.

*Fighting/Helmet Inventions:
Ok. I know "Helmet Inventions" sounds funny but I didn't know how else to put it-Fighting. Oh yes, fighting. A lot of us love it, a lot of us want it to stay and this goes for everyone(SEE ALL THOSE WHO WANT CONSISTENT OFFICIATING) We have our reasons why we love it and why it's important but I won't get into that. Fighting is always a hot topic going into the GM meeting and many have talked about ways of doing it or getting rid of it, or how to work with it. And one thing is certain helmets. I've heard ideas from people that once a helmet comes off, the fight should be done. This is due to players getting punched right in the kisser, falling down and smacking their noggin right on the hard ice. It's really not a joking matter being that players have actually died from that. So with that you have people submitting their ideas or shall I say "inventions" that pertain to this. One idea that I like is having a visor that snaps off because some players hate to fight with one on just out of respect for the opposing player that they're getting involved into fisty-cuffs with. Hitting a visor with your meat-hook can do damage but so does planting one on the helmet. Some players such as Calgary Flames Cap'n, Jarome Iginla, will take the helmet off and some will ask the other player before engaging with a motion to the head saying, "Hey buddy, wanna do this dance sans the head gear?"
Proof of former Ducks D-monster, "Frenchy" Beauchemin at the 0:02 mark of this video giving the finger to the helmet motion:



One of the things that I think I would LOVE to see happen with the game is calling the play dead whenever the puck hits the ref. A lot of times, biscuits bouncing off a zebra can result in a scoring play which can be silly and plain unfair. I don't care if it has happened in the favour of my team or not, I just think it would be better.

*Victory Based On The Shoot Out:
Some hate the fact that tied games can go into the shoot out and some don't. I can safely say that I haven't made up my mind on this topic. I like the shoot out but then again, I am in different. I will also say that the S/O can be very intense and a lot of times have had me pacing back in forth like someone who was waiting to see if their most beloved-precious person in the world's do-or-die brain transplant was a success. Sorry if I have offended those who've actually gone through a brain transplant or have paced back in forth. I guess I really need to get involved in the pro/con argument on this topic.

Those are just a few and I'm sure much more will be discussed in the two-day meetings. We'll just have to wait to see what comes of them. Until then, I'm sure much coffee spiked with bourbon will be drunk and the near by Wal-Greens will find themselves on an unexpected shortage of heart-burn/indigestion medication. Only time will tell!

Jiggy comments to the media "Oh, Jiggy...."


TSN.CA have reported on some comments made by Ducks netminder J.S. Giguere stating that
he would "
rather retire than be a backup goalie." Where I immediately took the palm of my hand, slapped my forehead with it, shook my head and made my own statement to his which was "Oh, Jiggy..." For those who have no idea what I am talking about, (mainly due to the fact that you've been dead for the past year or just don't follow hockey-and I'm gonna go with the first one because if you don't follow hockey, why are you reading my blog? However, I am pleased if you're reading this and don't follow/have interest in the game and you choose to waste your time by doing such reading of my blog, then I just plainly count myself: flattered...) the Ducks find themselves in an interesting situation with their netminding department. Last year Jiggy was plain awful, I don't care if you wanna put it all on the fact of his father passing, which I think is tragedy. Don't get me wrong, but he has gone through tough, personal times and played an amazing game (SEE THE EPIC POST SEASON OF 2006-2007). When that was going on last year, Hiller stepped in, and BOY! did he do well! Jiggy's untimely comments come out of the fact that he really doesn't want to be a #2 goalie, and I totally get that. He is a proven netminder, Conn Smythe/Stanley Cup Winner, I see why he doesn't want to be a back-up.

But I think his comments were out of place and at the wrong time being that he will be returning to the lineup for the Ducks 4 game road trip starting tomorrow in at the Rock in NJ and by doing so, has probably added unnecessary stress or awkwardness to the locker room as well as adding pressure to GM Bob Murray. He also stated
"I want to play; that's when I have fun. Right now, this is not fun." Let's see, Jiggy has been out tending to a strained groin muscle, so with that I will say..

"THAT'S WHY YOU HAVEN'T BEEN PLAYING!!!!! Jiggy, you're hurt and we need you to be 100%! So get well, take care of yourself and come back to prove that you can be the #1. You've done well so far in this early season. It's just too bad that in those games, the rest of the players decided to not show up!
And don't listen to all the announcers saying how Hiller IS the #1 goalie, it's poppycock! But if you can't prove yourself and play horribly, then that's YOUR fault."

And then it these comments from J.S. could have been taken out of context. It IS the media so who knows what was meant. I will remind everyone that Jiggy has a NTC in his contract and he would have to waive that if he wanted to get traded. But until then, watch for the "rumour mills" to start turning. We will see how he does when Jiggy gets back in the crease. If you wanted to read more on what he said:
TSN Report on Giguere

I guess that's it for now. Until then I need to take care of myself and get better. Having a cold sucks. Almost as bad as Refs.

Let's Go Ducks.

0 comments: