Saturday, October 24, 2009

A Special Tribute To One Who Fought So Bravely


In Loving Memory to Jennifer Leigh Dire (January 3rd, 1973 - October 23rd, 2009). Wife of my good friend, Mike. May you find the strength you need through this hard time. I will be here for you. All my thoughts and love.

It's never easy hearing that a good friend of yours is going through hard times such as my good friend, Mike. Yesterday I found out that his wife, Jen, passed away yesterday evening from cancer. I won't say she "loss" the battle to cancer. I actually don't like to say someone "loss" to an illness, seems like it labels the person to be weak. So I won't say that. From what Mike described to me, I can safely say that Jen wore her smile til the end of her time here on earth. And say what you want about spirituality but I know she is somewhere better and no longer in pain.

I worked with Mike at Disneyland. First met him on the Steam Trains when I entered the "Westside" part of the parks attractions department coming from Fantasyland. Mike always has a personalty that can make you light up on a bad day. Even though you can say that he can be rather crass and crazy, he's just a great character. I remember him telling me of Jen going through cancer, of the tough times she was experiencing and how it was to see through the eyes of someone being there for his love. I was there for him when they found out the cancer returned 2 weeks after hearing that she was clear. But no matter what, Mike always kept that smile on his face and she always had her humour about herself through her pain.

I never really knew Jen. I never spent anytime with her. But I had the honour and privilege one day to meet her and shake her hand after recovering from her mastectomy when they visited Disneyland. They sat next to my position on the steam train. And although she wasn't physically 100%, she still manage to have that great smile beaming radiantly. I know that all who have been able to spend their time with Jen will tell you that they're better people for doing so. It's not everyday you meet those such as the two.

But I will tell you that I am a better person to know Jen through my friend.

My best wishes are with you, Mike. May you find peace in this time of need and may you carry on that light that shined so bright from her. I know you will.


0 comments: