Saturday, October 17, 2009

And it begins... PT II


I was submerged and I was loving it. The end of the 2005-2006 season saw hopes fade quickly as the Edmonton Oilers, the 8th seeded team, took the Conference Final series at 4-1 against the Ducks. I had yet to go to my first live match. It was something I wanted to do for a very long time.

It wasn't until February 7th, 2007 my dream came true.

A friend had bought the tickets for me as an Xmas gift. It was at home against the Sharks, being that I don't like San Jose, I was looking forward to it. It was surreal. Walking through the doors of the Pond were amazing. Every time I had passed it on the freeway on my way to work (5 days a week), I'd longed to watch a Ducks game. The whole event is a blur to me. I was like a kid again. Passing fans in the hallways, wearing their sweaters, supporting their team. This is what I wanted to be apart of.
Our section was 408. I know, top section but I find that the real fans sit in the 400's. My heart beat quickly and til this day I can say that time slowed down when I emerged from the tunnel with the cool draft breaking along the skin of my face, moving through my hair, to stand and to view in panoramic glory:

The Pond.
In it's entirety.

It hit me. It was a new feeling. A great feeling. Sure I have been to baseball games at Angels Stadium but this was different and I embraced it. There's something about seeing a hockey game that sets itself apart from seeing any other sport live. I haven't watched a live basketball game so I won't lump that in but there's something in the air at a hockey arena and it's literally the smell. Also the fact that it feels nice and cool, but hockey rinks have a certain scent about them and it's amazing. I guess my experience of walking from the hallway and into my seat can be compared to sitting in the Millennium Falcon and looking out the window whilst starting the jump into hyperspace where the stars are just stars that begin to stretch then you shoot into fast speed. In case you need a reminder what that's like...

I was glued to my seat for the entire 60 mins of the game. Well, I jumped up when the 2 Duck goals were scored which were so amazing, I can't even remember. With a 2 - 3 loss to the much hated Sharks, a couple of beers drunk. We were heading out the door but not without looking back before walking out the tunnel to take one more view of what would be my new home. It was the only game I would be able to attend that season. A season of which saw the Ducks hoisting the Cup for the first time in a game that I watched whilst on lunch break at Disney when I was working the Main Street Parade with a group of other Duck fans cheering on our team to take the series from Ottawa. One of our supervisors even made the announcement "Do not drive on Katella going back to the 57. Avoid all streets close to the Pond tonight, the Ducks just won." I was wishing that I was with my fellow supporters inside that arena celebrating. That was the night of the Cast Member preview of the Finding Nemo attraction. Which I had a ticket for. That's when I saw my friend Jasmin, whom was donning her Ducks sweater with black, gold, white, and orange ribbons in her hair along with confetti. I ran to her to hug her in celebration when she told me, "I was there!" Sure I was in awe of her but I was also jealous. Needless to say, it was a great season and a great summer.

The 2007-2008 season, I returned back to the Pond for 3 games: Stars (who I absolutely hate), Sharks, and the Avs (a game that I took my father to, it would be our first together and being that I was into the Avs in the mid 90's I wanted to see them even though they weren't the same team).
I was back living in Anaheim with a complete nutter as a landlady, who sued me and won-apparently when you old and crazy judges believe you, watching as many games as I could on tv. Halfway through that season, my girlfriend(who I started dating at the end of 2006) and I decided to move in together and did so in West Anaheim. I was free to fully enjoy the games from home, being able to scream and throw my arms up in sheer excitement every time a goal was scored. It was great!
Sadly the Ducks weren't able to get past the Stars in the first round of the post season and defend their title. It was a disappointing series. But what can you do when you have the "Hangover"

The next season, I would pretty much become an unofficial SSH as well as making a big life-changing decision....



0 comments: